Nirvanna The Band The Show The Movie (Written By Jaeden Noel)
When I initially saw Matt Johnson's long awaited Nirvanna The Band The Show The Movie at a pre-TIFF screening, I will admit I was the cynical sally. While I found it a demonstration of movie making brilliance, I didn't think it would be impactful enough to reach wider audiences outside of the Toronto cult following. Safe to say, I couldn't be more wrong. After catching it again at a packed screening filled with people who have just discovered the show through its massive resurgence on social media, I see what NTBTSTM truly is. An inspiring, hilarious love letter to the city that has shaped my young adult years.
Matt Johnson & Jay McCarrol have created something that is so unbound the rules of what Toronto and Canadian filmmaking has created for itself in the past decade or so. Taking the city and essentially turning it into a playground for their shenanigans trying to get a show at the iconic (and real) Rivoli. That is quite literally all you need to know about these lads to set the picture. The chaos starts immediately as we follow the two on this quest through CN tower escapades, crazy (unscripted) interactions with the NPC's of Toronto, (not limited to a peculiar Canadian Tire employee) and even time travel.
More than anything, NTBTSTM is a step forward in the right direction for Canadian movies. I hope more than anything, this makes telefilm and co invest in more bold and comedic stories that will truly leave an impact.

Comments
Post a Comment