I Want Your Sex (2026) - Review (Written By Jaeden Noel)


If there's one director who has claimed a spot in the Gen Z cycle of yearning for a time before us, it is none other than the '90s icon Gregg Araki. Despite some flops in the 2010s, Greg returns for his first feature in 12 years with I Want Your Sex. This stylish, sexy, and downright hilarious comedy could not come at a better time for those suffering from big-box-office fatigue and what seems to be social interaction fatigue and fear in my generation. I Want Your Sex follows 23-year-old Elliot (Cooper Hoffman) as he navigates the ups and downs of a hypersexual relationship with his eccentric artist boss, Erika (Olivia Wilde).

I was worried going into the film that Araki would be able to recreate the aesthetics of his colourful '90s films in this dull digital era. Rest assured, this was one of the most vibrant films of recent memory. Neo-pop art and colourful backdrops set the tone for what feels like the most provocative movie of the year so far. As much as the film is funny, it really does come with a sense of urgency, serving as a proclamation to live life to the fullest in the prime of your time. Greg himself said at the Q&A that if there is one thing Gen Z can take away from this, it is to go out and take those risks!

I have nothing but excellent things to say about Hoffman and Wilde, who bounce off each other as if they have been in this scenario for years. I feel like Hoffman is the only person I know who has been typecast as trying to get with an older girl (Licorice Pizza, Poetic License, and now this), which I'm honestly here for. Olivia Wilde continues to show her versatility in a huge contrast to her other lead role currently in the multiplexes.

As Elliot tries to balance his one-sided traditional relationship with his girlfriend and his steamy affair with Erika, there is a very humble message to take away. While life has those scary moments that will make you feel like you're stepping out of your comfort zone, these are the moments that we will carry with us into our older age and that shape who we are. Without them, we are left with regret.

I Want Your Sex is bound to be a hit on the end-of-year charts, as there really is no other movie like it set to release this year. I am extremely excited for whatever Araki does next in his new era of Gen Z stories.

Comments

Post a Comment